"Luss-ting after Luss" Scotland Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Delightful stream
      attractive cottages, heritage listed
      How good it this
    by iandsmith

We arrived late afternoon, just in time to find our accommodation and settle in before dinner, after which I decided to do a bit of night photography. Luss promised much, touted as one of Scotland's nicest villages. I was keen not to miss an opportunity.
Luss is a village on the west bank of Loch Lomond, Scotland's largest freshwater loch.
The village also hosts a water taxi service to Balloch, allowing visitors to transfer on into Glasgow by train or visit its shopping centre.
Its original name is Clachan dubh - dark village, probably because of Ben Lomond which towers over the Loch and its villages.
Saint Kessog brought Christianity to Luss in 510 AD, but the present Church of Scotland church was built in 1875 by Sir James Colquhoun in memory of his father who had drowned in the loch in December 1873.
Nowadays Luss is a conservation village, and a bypass was constructed to stop the traffic on the busy A82 trunk road from passing through it. Many of Luss' cottages are described as 'picturesque'. Luss Pier is a popular starting point for boat trips on the loch. There is a Kiltmaker and a Bagpipe Works.
In recent years Luss became famous as a result of being the main outdoor location for the Scottish Television drama series Take the High Road. Despite the fact that the programme is no longer made, Luss still uses its fictional name "Glendarroch" on some of the buildings.
At the end of our stay the next day I came away with mixed feelings. Though the village had a nice aura about it and was uncrowded when we were there, I personally didn't think it was up to the standard of the Cotswold villages for instance. I realise comparisons can be odious but, for example, a place like Worth Matravers gets almost no publicity but could certainly rival Luss, albeit without a lovely loch on its shore. I did enjoy my night time sojourn however, and I love the shot of the gravestones. The combination of waterfront, old cottages and attractive gardens makes it certainly worth a stop and a great place for kids to run around.

• Updated Jan 6, 2006