"Nice Room ~ Pleasant Stay" Traders Hotel Penang Tip by truesally

Traders Hotel Penang, Penang: 1,626 reviews and 4 photos

Very pretty, in the midst of a rundown-looking area. The front desk was kind & helpful - changing money, selling stamps, giving directions.

Our room was amply sized with a small sitting area and desk. The window was a little scary - slightly angled & no sill, so when you stand next to it you feel like you're about to fall to your death. Quiet - we couldn't hear anyone around us or in the hallway.

We had an upgrade that gave us use of the Internet room and a small private buffet room where we had breakfast & late night drinks and appetizers. All of the food was fresh (eggs to order) and good, with some local flavor (tropical fruit, specialty breads).

Laundry was done only by the hotel service (as per custom in Asia, I discovered) and was moderately priced (about $150US for a few days' clothes; undergarments washed in our bathroom and hung on the retractable clothesline).

A free shuttle is available to/from the sister hotel at Batu Ferringhi (gorgeous beach resort), and there are always taxis and trishaws waiting at the front door.

Unique Qualities: There is a massage service & gym upstairs and a salon off the lobby. I got a 60 minute aromatherapy massage for about $60US; quite nice. My therapist was more chatty than I'm used to during a massage, but she was a lovely person - she saves stray animals and hopes to open an actual shelter someday. (Big tip!) I didn't use the gym but it looked reasonably equipped.

The beautician in the salon was very kind and squeezed me in for a quick nail polish touch-up before she went home (I arrived just before closing). It was about $8US, and she actually took time to shape & buff my nails, too. (Another big tip!)

There is a bar in the lobby, karaoke a couple of nights there, and a pub-style restaurant where most people went for breakfast.

Address: Magazine Road
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Next to the giant mall
Phone: 60-4-262-2622