"the National Gallery of Ireland" National Gallery of Ireland Tip by RblWthACoz

National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin: 26 reviews and 37 photos

On one of my several trips to the Washington D.C. area, I realized one constant truth about museums. The good ones are free. The National Gallery is both good and free to get in. Showcasing a wide variety of art from the 14th to the 20th centuries, it is well worth the investment of time to see. I'm not exactly sure what I expected to see when I went, but I do know that my expectations were exceeded and I felt it was a good gallery to check out.

As is expected, there is an appropriate section of art from Jack B. Yeats, as well as a full portrait gallery that was opened in 2003 that showcases important Irish figures. To commemorate the opening, a very interesting and artistic rendering of Bono was placed inside the gallery (I think it is one of the most interesting paintings in the whole building). Another must see is Carvaggio's "The Taking of Christ" (1602) which was actually the subject of books and worldwide search after it was deemed "missing". The painting was "found" in a Dublin residence and now resides in the National Gallery.

Address: Merrion Square, Dublin 2
Directions: Behind Trinity College.
Phone: +00 353 (0)1 661 5133
Website: http://www.nationalgallery.ie

• Written Jan 4, 2006

Comments

RblWthACoz

“Better to worry about living good than looking good.”

Have you been to Dublin?