"Rotunda - first impressions" Top 5 Page for this destination Capitol Building Tip by matcrazy1

Capitol Building, Washington D.C.: 169 reviews and 429 photos

THE ROTUNDA 1

THE ROTUNDA 1
      THE ROTUNDA 2
      THE ROTUNDA 3
      URSZULA (matcrazy0) IN THE ROTUNDA
      OUR GROUP IN THE ROTUNDA
    by matcrazy1

The Rotunda is an impressive circular room 29 meters (96 feet) in diameter and 55 meters (180 feet) in height covered by Capitol's Dome. It's the symbolic heart of the United States Capitol connecting the House and Senate sides.

Our group entered the Rotunda through the massive sculpted Columbus Doors and a small narthex. At first I was impressed by the dome and total height of the Rotunda. 55 meters is the height of 18-story contemporary building and it's well seen when you look up.

We were following our guide who was talking us about history and numerous works of art in the Rotunda. The place is visited by thousands people from all over the world each day (closed on Sunday). There were quite many visitors but I can't say the Rotunda was crowded. The only inconvenience for me was that from time to time we stood close to the other speaking guide which made a bit more difficult to understand English of my guide. Anyway, I understood most of what my English guide was talking. As my group consisted mostly of kids and teenagers, the guide probably avoided to use more sophisticated vocabulary. Lucky me :-).

Address: East Capitol Street and 1st Street NW
Directions: Downtown. Metro: Capitol South, Union Station, Federal Center SW (the best for the Capitol Tour). Map here
othercontact: +1 (202) 224 4048
Phone: +1 (202) 225 6827
Website: http://www.aoc.gov/cc/capitol/rotunda.cfm

• Updated Jan 3, 2006

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Washington D.C.?