"The frog and other things" Scotland Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Scotland Things to Do: 1,337 reviews and 2,738 photos

The amazing frog, without his parka.
by iandsmith

The amazing frog, without his parka.
    by iandsmith
      Just a fragment of the view
    by iandsmith

Just as I neared the top I could see that this wasn't it and I would have to walk further to the next, now visible peak. Squelch, squelch, squelch, on I trudged. At last. No, there's another one above that. I decided, bearing in mind Rosemarie was still car bound, that the third would be the last.
Fortunately, my perseverance paid off, it was the high point but, having said that, if you walked further there would be better views over the lochs near the edges. Still, I had made it, and all around me, was the best 360 degree view I had ever seen in my life. That's a huge call I know. The Dolomites are spectacular, Amalfi Coast sublime, Picos de Europa unforgettable, Bavarian alps breathtaking but what this place had was variety. Here there was timberland, there were three streams, a totally barren hillside across the other way, down there the lochs and, above all, the frog. My gaze was transfixed. The wind was vicious, the rain uncomfortable, I could only momentarily hold my camera steady so I put it on high speed to hopefully record this amazing sight. Reptiles need to soak up the sun to increase their body temperature. What on earth was this amphibian doing on this rock in the middle of nowhere in the freezing cold totally exposed to the wind? I knew not but was aware that I may have discovered a previously unknown species. This, some weeks later, turned to disappointment when I learned it was only a common frog. Still, for a while there I was aware of a momentous discovery.
The view was genuinely 360 degrees. Why this spot isn't featured more on tourist promotion sites is lost on me. It's a stunner and atmospheric (read lousy weather) to boot. Had I not had to return to the car I would have spent another half hour there, even in the rotten conditions that prevail. It's that good, go there.

• Updated Jan 3, 2006