"The Aussie connection (Kilravock Castle)" Scotland Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Scotland Things to Do: 1,337 reviews and 2,738 photos

Castle at sunset
by iandsmith

"Let's just duck down this road and have a squiz." (Aussie for "Let's drive down here and have a look", which may disappoint those of you who thought I was erudite.)
"Do we really have to?", queried Rosemarie.
"Only want to take a quick snap."
Silence from the other side of the car. I look upon this as the possibility of a maybe, bordering on acceptance that I won't be chastised severely..............unless something goes wrong while we're down the road of course. Then something marginally less than crucifixion may apply.
Thus it was that late on an autumn day in Scotland I found myself driving down the path to Kilravock Castle, a place I'd never heard of before in my life but; I thought heck, it's a castle, must be something worth seeing there and I'll have boasting rights on VT.
Heading down the driveway, uncertain whether or not the owner would be waiting for us with a gun, heightened our anticipation. It somewhat dissipated when we drove past a tree - and not just any tree.
The initial foray was blocked immediately we passed the tree, just as the castle came into view. There, a car with trailer in tow, somewhat laden with garden waste, stood in our path.
I hopped out, ignored them and strode to the top of a grassy knoll to get a quick snap and depart.
Unfortunately, a 5 year old with even more curiousity than me ran over and asked me what I was doing. "Just takin' a picture mate" was the reply in broad Aussie accent. "R hew Orstraylian?" came the retort in the broadest Scots brogue I had heard all trip.
"Pretty hard to tell I suppose," I replied, somewhat sarcastically.
"I'm from Australia too," again in heavy Scots accent.
Suffice it to say that that bit of information threw me completely yet, it turned out that he and his family were, indeed, from Australia. Sydney and Newcastle to be precise. Amazing.
(continued next tip)