"Undiscovered Scotland indeed" Scotland Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Scotland Things to Do: 1,337 reviews and 2,738 photos

More than a sham

More than a sham
    by iandsmith
      The lovely walk to the house
    by iandsmith

During my extensive research I found one site to be consistently interesting and I made many forays into it. I'm talking about "Undiscovered Scotland" and their myriad of places that receive scant attention from other sites. They pointed me to much but even they were recalcitrant.
I found three places they hadn't picked up anywhere, I didn't know they existed and it was only my insatiable curiousity that drove me into the sites.
The first was in the Dumfries area. The place is called the Shambellie House Museum of Costume. It's the last thing I was expecting. We called in because; (a) there was a splendid edifice with matching gardens; (b) they advertised that they had food and we were hungry.
Charles Stewart, grandson of the first owner, donated the 1875-built Shambellie House, along with his magnificent collection of rare and distinctive costumes, to the Museum of Scotland in 1977.
Today you can also walk through the impressive grounds of the house and enjoy some refreshment at the tea room. Now, a gourmet's paradise it isn't, but the staff are friendly (they're Scots, you wouldn't expect less) and you can fill up on basic fare.
The other places I found I will cover in the other tips.

Directions: Just up the road from New Abbey