"They are not in the EU for nothing" Slovenia Shopping Tip by Muscovite

Slovenia Shopping: 18 reviews and 18 photos

What to buy: People think I am cynical because I prefer regular shopping to souvenir shopping. Look, I am not cynical, I am immensely romantic. When I put on a skirt I bought in Paris I think of the city of lights, when I swim in the swimming-suit I bought in Dubrovnik I recall the old citadel and the beautiful coast, and when I walk in the shoes I bought in Lisbon the narrow streets of Alfama and its melancholic fado songs come back to my memory.
I bought many quality clothes in Slovenia; in fact, those I bought in Croatia were made in Slovenia, too. I would recommend their woolen jackets and winter coats of 'Gorenjska Oblacija' make, 'Kroj' suits and blouses, 'Rasica ' knitwear and 'Peko' shoes.
'Peko' is my favourite. I had a pair of their shoes in bad old Soviet times. Mind you, the regime was bad, but the imported footwear was good, not the garbage our pioneers of wild capitalism bring into the country now. Year 2003 when I bought my second pair the factory celebrated its 100th year. I looked for comfortable and durable shoes for autumn mud and drizzle that would look ladylike, too. Besides, I have high instep, fancy Italian ballerinas do not attract me, I would rather go for Austrian shoe pattern, but not the price. All that I found in a small Peko shop in an equally small Venetian town Piran, just for $ 70. If I come to Slovenia again, I will definitely buy a third one. Too bad Slovenians do not reimburse me for sophisticated promotion.

Theme: Shoes

• Written Dec 27, 2005

More Shopping in Slovenia (1)

“I do it best, or I don't do it”

Have you been to Slovenia?