Hot Plate: "Excellent Chinese food" Dubai Restaurant Tip by SWFC_Fan

Dubai Restaurants: 410 reviews and 928 photos

by SWFC_Fan

I am a huge fan of Chinese food (the spicier the better!) and try to visit a Chinese restaurant wherever I am in the world.

I can honestly say that Hot Plate in Dubai is one of the best Chinese restaurants that I have ever eaten at. The menu indicates (with an asterisk) which foods are particularly spicy, so naturally I chose my meal from those. Sometimes this is a disappointment, but not in this case - the spicy foods WERE spicy, VERY spicy! I got through half a dozen glasses of water during my meal.

The extensive menu (which includes not only Chinese but also Thai and kebab selections) includes:

Starters: (generally 8-20 Dhs)

Spring rolls, wantons, prawn crackers, breaded prawns and various chicken and fish dishes.

Soup: (6-16 Dhs)

Including vegetable, tomato, hot and sour, chicken, crab, seafood, noodle, mushroom.

Main courses:

Chicken dishes (20-24 Dhs): including sweet and sour, chilli, Szechaun, lemon, ginger, black bean sauce, Kung Po.

Beef dishes (22-24 Dhs): including shredded beef in various sauces (eg ginger, chilli, sweet and sour, oyster, black bean).

Prawn dishes (30-35 Dhs): including sweeat and sour, garlic, chilli, black bean sauce, Manchurian sauce, oyster sauce, cashew nuts, Szechaun, Kung Po.

Fish dishes: (22-24 Dhs): with lemon sauce, ginger sauce, chilli sauce etc.

Squid dishes (20-24 Dhs), lobster dishes (56 Dhs) and various vegetarian options (14-18 Dhs)

Rice (5-18 Dhs): plain, egg-fried, vegetable, prawn fried, mixed fried etc.

Noodles (14-20 Dhs): hakka noodles, chow mein, chop suey etc.

Fruit salad (6 Dhs), lychees (6 Dhs), ice cream (6 Dhs), ice cream sundae (12 Dhs).

The Thai selection is equally varied with a huge number of starters, soups, chicken, beef, prawn, fish and vegetarian dishes.

The service was friendly and efficient and all the food was served piping hot and in large portions.

The restaurant is located on the ground floor of the Atrium Centre on Bank Street, Bur Dubai.

Excellent restaurant. Very highly recommended!

Favorite Dish: As stated above, I love spicy food - so I selected my meal based on those items marked with an asterisk on the menu:

Hot and sour soup (with prawn): Cost 8 Dhs.

This was as hot a soup as I have ever eaten in any restaurant in the world. I commonly have this as a starter in Chinese restaurants, but I've never felt my mouth burn as much as on this occasion. If you like spicy food, I'd highly recommend this.

Main course:

Hot Rock Prawns Cost 32 Dhs and Egg Fried Rice Cost 12 Dhs

The Hot Rock Prawns are on the "Sizzling Hot-Pan Delicacies" section of the menu, and they didn't disappoint. The plate arrived at the table still sizzling and the food was outstanding - a number of large prawns in a tasty, hot sauce. The egg fried rice helped to cool my mouth down, acting as a good contrast to the hot sauce.

Special Tutti Fruiti Ice Cream Cost 12 Dhs

I ended my meal with a much needed ice cream sundae. A large glass of several different flavoured ice creams with fruit salad and sauces. Excellent!

Address: Atrium Centre
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Atrium Centre opposite Four Points Sheraton, Bank Street, Bur Dubai.
Phone: 04-3512122
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 5
Theme: Chinese/Dim Sum

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Sep 13, 2007

“Next stops: Chile (November), Cluj-Napoca (December)”

Have you been to Dubai?