Atwood Cafe: "Upscale "Comfort" Food" Atwood Cafe Tip by keida84

Atwood Cafe, Chicago: 6 reviews and 6 photos

The Burham Hotel~Atwood Cafe
by keida84

The Atwood Cafe is located in the heart of Chicago's Business District in the Reliance Building within the Burnham Historic Hotel. In 1895, architects Daniel Burnham, John Root and Charles Atwood created the Reliance Building that ushered in a new era and set the precedent for the modern skyscraper. After years of neglect and disrepair, the 110-year-old Reliance Building was reborn in October 1999 as the Hotel Burnham. At a cost of a staggering $27.5 million refurbishment and renovation, the hotel was returned to its rightful place as one of Chicago's most significant architectural landmarks.

The hotel was recently named by "Conde Nast" magazine as "one of the best places to stay in the world." All that put aside, this restaurant was probably my favorite on this particular trip. The decor is art deco but with a victorian flair. Leaded glass, Tiffany lights, and thick carpets give the restaurant a "plush " feel.

The service was excellent and our waitress knew we had tickets for the theatre so she was expedient but not pushy in her manner to accomodate us and get us out in time for the curtain up.

Hours for the Atwood Cafe:

5 p.m. - 11 p.m.

Bar service:
Monday - Sunday
11 a.m. - 11 p.m.

Favorite Dish: I had the most delicious pork tenderloins with mashed potatoes, garlicky greens and sweet and sour dried plums. This dish I have to say rivals that of my brother in law who is a professional chef, this dish I ranked right up there with his Pork tenderloin medallions. In 2006 we returned and the Butternut squash and apple soup was truly delicious.

I also would like to comment on the martinis we enjoyed. I ordered an Absoult martini, rocks, twist and olives....ah perfection! Kristi enjoyed a "chocolate" martini which was also declared "excellent."

The dessert was decadent as well. We shared a warm roasted banana white chocolate bread pudding with banana caramel. Oh words cannot fully express the flavor of this sinful sweet, my only regret is I didn't get one just for me. *wink wink* Actually, I don't believe I could have finished one by myself.

Don't miss out on this "gem" of a restaurant, you won't be disappointed.

Address: 1 W Washington Street
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Washington & State, in the Loop
Phone: 312-368-1900
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 5
Theme: American

• Updated Jan 18, 2007

“Travel far and wide, travel close and excuses anymore,,,just do it and be happy.”

Have you been to Chicago?