Cafe Xenon: "A Eugene Bistro" Top 5 Page for this destination Eugene Restaurant Tip by birchy99

Eugene Restaurants: 59 reviews and 47 photos

Cafe Xenon has long been one of our favorites, mainly for lunch, occasionally for dinner and often for Sunday morning breakfast. Having been a mainstay in downtown Eugene for over 15 years, the cafe recently changed hands. Not having been for a a while Mrs. B. and I decided to see how they were doing so we stopped in for lunch.
Much was the same; the first thing you see is the dessert counter but, alas, it wasn't as filled with as many tempting delights as we remembered. However, the wait staff was as pleasant and efficient as ever, the noise level quite high as usual, and crowd about average.
On paying the bill the cashier (new proprietor?) asked about our meals. Unfortunately, I had to give him a critical review for which he very professionally thanked me. I was impressed with the interest and am confident that the cuisine is being attended to. At least I hope so, as it is still a favorite.
Apparently, they have added a "wine flight" on Tuesday evenings, of which we have not attended.

Favorite Dish: In the past I have always loved the New Orleans Mufaletto at Xenon. Don't know if they still have it on the menu. Another favorite is the Pulled Pork Sandwich. Mrs. B. likes the chicken empanada. Breakfasts feature eggs with delicious home fries and my favorite, Chorizo sausage. Eggs Benedict is on the menu. Also, Guinness on tap, no, not for breakfast. And the desserts are really grand, usually a large selection.
This last visit I had a grilled white fish Po'Boy and Mrs. B. had the vegetarian chili. Unfortunately, the fish was very strong tasting and the black beans in the chili needed to be cooked longer.
One hopes that this was just an anomaly, as lunches and breakfasts here have always been very good.
The place is worth a try.
Flash!! On our last visit I was able to order the Muffaletto and it was supburb. Best ever!!
Mrs. B had the chicken empanada and it was good except the beans were "not right."(What's with the beans, anyway?) We also had carrot cake for dessert and it was devine. Give this place a try.

Address: 898 Pearl St
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: On the corner of Broadway and Pearl.
othercontact: 8 am-11 pm Su-Th, 8 am-midnight
Phone: 343-3005
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: Eclectic/International

• Updated Jan 2, 2006

birchy99 Lives Here!

“No Matter Where You Are, There You Are!!! So, Make the Most Of It!!”

Have you been to Eugene?