"The first in the New World" Top 5 Page for this destination National Cathedral / Other Churches / Temples Tip by matcrazy1

MINARET OF ISLAMIC MOSQUE

MINARET OF ISLAMIC MOSQUE
      MINARET
      ISLAMIC CENTER
      ISLAMIC ARCHITECTURE
      ISLAMIC CENTER
    by matcrazy1

The Islamic Center in Washington DC (2551 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W.) is located at the edge of beautiful Rock Creek Park I visited... by car. It is the first mosque to be built in America's national capital (in 1957), and is the first large Muslim place of worship to be built in the New World. For a Muslim it's a place to pray, for a non-Muslim like me it's a place to amaze islamic architecture of the centre dominating by 49 meter (160-foot) high minaret. It's like 16-floor contemporary building.

I got to know about this place on September 17, 2001, 6 days after the terrorist attacks of pseudo-Muslim fanatics against Washington and NYC when the centre was visited by President George W. Bush that I watched in TV news. Thus I hardly found a place to park my car as soon as I had seen the mosque. Unfortunatelly I couldn't join free educational tour because they were offered only to schools, groups, and organizations and by appointment only. I could only see the mosque from the outside because I came during the service. It's open for all visitors between the times for prayer. Don't forget to dress respectfully. For ladies who wish to enter the Mosque, it is required to bring along a scarf to cover the hair, long sleeves, and if wearing a dress, that it be below the knees.

othercontact: Fax: +1 (202) 234 5035
Phone: +1 (202) 332 8343
Website: http://www.theislamiccenter.com

• Updated Dec 25, 2005

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Washington D.C.?