"The London Eye: 'The Way the World Sees London'" Coca-Cola London Eye Tip by Kaspian

Coca-Cola London Eye, London: 354 reviews and 580 photos

by Kaspian
      The London Eye - A "Capsule" (2005)
    by Kaspian
      The London Eye -Aerial View (2005)
    by Kaspian
      The London Eye - Aerial View (2005)
    by Kaspian

What I once thought was a complete blight on the London skyline has become something I look forward to seeing in photos of this city. It's "the largest observation wheel ever built"--basically a giant ferris wheel on the bank of the River Thames.
The London Eye was conceived in 1993 at the kitchen table of an architect couple, David Marks and Julia Barfield. It was originally designed as a Millennium Project and when it didn't win the competition, British Airways picked up the idea. Although planning took six years, the construction began on a massive scale; 1700 people were involved with the building, and they completed the project within 16 months. It opened in the year 2000.
The 32 capsules can carry over 15,000 passengers per day at a height of 135 metres.
I had been told it's best to buy tickets online ahead of time, but not knowing what time exactly I would be there (you need to pick an actual time to book through the site), this was a problem. So we just showed up. There was no line-up in the early evening, we bought tickets and were on our flight right away. Our timing was perfect and we watched the sun go down over London from our capsule. Big Ben's lights came on while we watched. Fantastic! The "In-Flight Guide" book I'd bought, which was fairly expensive, was informative and fun to use during our flight. I would recommend buying one if you don't know the city.

Address: Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7PB
Directions: It's most scenic to get off at the Westminster tube stop and walk across the bridge.
othercontact: customer.services@ba-londoneye.c