"Bay Tour by Ferry" Ferry Tours of San Francisco Bay Tip by jadedmuse

Ferry tour departing the Pier
by jadedmuse

For whatever reason, I wasn't able to get tickets for Alcatraz last time I was in San Francisco, so I did the next best thing (or maybe even a better thing): I took a ferry tour of the Bay. It was fantastic! What I loved about it was that anyone from anywhere could enjoy the same tour - because the narrative is done in multiple languages. You just indicate in what language you'd like your tour to be, and you're given a small radio with earphones.

I love this tour-cruise because if you're dressed appropriately (and that means a good jacket and maybe even a hat, depending on how cold or rainy it might be and also what time of the day you go), it is exhilarating. I can smell the salt water and hear the splash of the waves even now in my memory....in one hour, you'll glide past Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39, past Angel Island (aka the "Ellis Island of the West" and a historical destination of its own today), around Alcatraz, by Sausalito, and under the Golden Gate Bridge. The narrative points out specific landmarks and reknown areas of import all the while.

I highly recommend this tour!

Cost: around $20 for adult.

Address: Pier 41
Directions: The Wharf - Marina District
Phone: 415-773-1188
Website: http://www.blueandgoldfleet.com

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Dec 12, 2005

“To see the world in a grain of sand & heaven in a flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand & eternity in an hour”

Have you been to San Francisco?