"Buraimi" Top 5 Page for this destination Oman Off The Beaten Path Tip by traveldave

Oman Off The Beaten Path: 56 reviews and 58 photos

The town of Buraimi shares the Buraimi Oasis with Al Ain in Abu Dhabi emirate in the United Arab Emirates. Visitors can pass freely between the two towns and countries without any border formalities. Visas are only required for those traveling deeper into Oman, and the checkpoint is several miles beyond Buraimi. The border crossing between Buraimi and Al Ain is a busy one, with Omanis going to Al Ain for cheaper shopping, and travelers going to Buraimi to say they have been in Oman.

Buraimi has always been on a strategic route between the interior of Oman and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. In 1952, Saudi Arabia claimed Buraimi. Negotations to determine ownership of the oasis failed, and in 1955 there was a small-scale war which resulted in a Saudi withdrawal from the area. However, it was not until 1975 that a border acceptable to all parties was established.

During my short visit to Oman, my group crossed into Buraimi on our way to go birdwatching at the Hanging Gardens in the nearby desert. We then cut across a mountainous and isolated corner of Oman on our way to Hatta in Dubai emirate in the United Arab Emirates.

• Updated Jul 27, 2006

Comments

traveldave Visits Here Frequently!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Have you been to Oman?