"Hang Gliding over Rio de Janeiro, Brazil" Rio de Janeiro Sports & Outdoors Tip by CarolKW

Rio de Janeiro Sports & Outdoors: 72 reviews and 91 photos

Hang Gliding over Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hang Gliding over Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
      Hang Gliding over the Rocinha Favela -Rio de Jane
      Hang Gliding over São Conrado, Rio de Janeiro, Bra
      Hang Gliding over Vidigal favela, Rio de Janeiro,
      Hang Gliding over Tijuca Nat. Park, Rio de Janeiro
    by CarolKW

This was one of the highlights during my last stay in Rio. I met the owner of Rio Hang Gliding who’s also one of the pilots, one day down in Lapa during a party night. At first I wasn’t much interested in jumping off a cliff with a total stranger. But slowly he talked me into it and at the end I agreed to be picked up at my hotel on the next afternoon.
They picked me up right on time and after signing a disclaimer at the national H. Gliding authority they took me up to the launch site which is a beautiful spot inside a national park. I confess that I was quite scared at first but after the instructions and watching others go our turn was up and after a short sprint on the launch path we were already airborne and flying above take off. I never thought that it would be possible to gain height without an engine, this was great. The best off all was that, while others were flying downhill quickly my pilot said to me that he would fly me for half hour since the conditions were good enough. That’s what really caused me to right this review, these guys don’t just promise you a long ride they really deliver it!! The views were amazing and the landing very smooth. Next time I’ll come to Brazil I will be flying again. I really recommend everybody to try this at least once it really makes you feel alive.

Equipment: Dress casual but no high heels, flip fops or skirts. If it's sunny don't forget to aply sunscreen before leaving the hotel.

Address: São Conrado beach, west corner
Directions: Call them and they'll pick you up for free
othercontact: 2422-2411
Phone: 9843-9006
Theme: Extreme Sports
Website: http://www.riohanggliding.com

• Written Dec 12, 2005

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?