"Lovely, small church (1844)" Top 5 Page for this destination National Cathedral / Other Churches / Temples Tip by matcrazy1

THE CHURCH OF THE EPIPHANY

THE CHURCH OF THE EPIPHANY
      TOWER
      ENTRANCE DOOR
      INFO
      TOWER (REVIVAL GOTHIC)
    by matcrazy1

I took a longer walk from the Capitol Hill to the White House but not through the National Mall which I had already crossed a few times but along streets north of the Mall to eventually get to the Treasury Department located east of the White House. I wanted to find something interesting off the most touristy itineraries and I almost failed. I walked along mostly busy and noisy streets with nothing interesting along until I suprisingly reached and discovered this tiny church with bright red entrance door built in pretty Gothic Revival style (1317 G St. NW). It opens for services only but the schedule has not been shown off outside which is unusual in the USA.

The Church of the Epiphany was founded in 1844 and during the Civil War, as most churches, played important role serving as a shelter, often the last shelter and cemetery for numerous wounded victims. Many historical sources say that DC's population was split between the North and South that time although DC was the capital of the Union.

In most American cities in 22 states I already visited I could easily find tenths churches of various religious. Thus, I was a bit surprised not to find any churches in relatively old Washington except that one and the far National Cathedral. Why? Weren't they religious or I just walked "wrong" streets.

Well, probably I walked along the wrong streets. But mostly, the center/old section of Washington doesn't have many churches because this section is the focus of the "government." Since USA specifically has a separation between church and state, a church does not play a big role in this area. Another thing, in the USA most churches are conveniently built in neighborhoods so that it is easier for the people to get to them.

Phone: +1 (202) 347 2635
Website: http://www.cathedral.org/cathedral/index.shtml

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Washington D.C.?