ART STUDIOS: "A splash of colour, after your holiday!" Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Samui Shopping Tip by JessH

Ko Samui Shopping: 27 reviews and 51 photos

Our Samui-paintings back home in Dubai

Our Samui-paintings back home in Dubai
      Copy of Van Gogh in Ko Samui shop
      Copy of Renoir in Ko Samui Shop
    by JessH
      From Pop-art to classic - find it in Samui!
    by JessH

Surprisingly, apart from beach-wear and souvenirs, Ko Samui is great for other shopping: ART!

All along Chaweng Beach Road, there are numerous smaller & larger art studios.
We were surprised at such a variety on this small island in Thailand, and marvelled at the incredible skill with which the artists re-created famous paintings of Da Vinci, Keith Haring, Van Gogh, Salvador Dali, etc. as well as creating their own individual artworks.

What to buy: You can usually bargain for better prices, especially if you've seen the same piece in many other shops. Quality will vary so it's advisable to shop-around and compare.

Not only paintings, but also carvings and statues are on display at various shops.

So instead of having a boring-old print of your favourite painting, buy yourself a proper painting! Fake, but at least it's affordable for "us normal people" – LOL!

What to pay: I purchased a set of 4 re-created paintings by Swiss artist Franz Ruzicka, and paid a total of 800 baht (click on the picture to see them). They now adorn the wall above our bed, and I absolutely love the colours and the style of painting.

Address: All along Chaweng Beach Road
Theme: Local Craft

• Updated Feb 18, 2007

Comments

JessH

“I've packed my bags, I'm ready to go... ... ...”

Have you been to Ko Samui?