"No child left behind" Top 5 Page for this destination Inside Scoop on D.C. / it's Residents Tip by matcrazy1

NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND :-)

NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND :-)
      IN DOWNTOWN WASHINGTON, DC
    by matcrazy1
  • No child left behind - Washington D.C.

Walking around downtown DC, I have seen the proud writings "No child left behind" on posters and walls of some buildings at least a few times. Once entrances to an ugly office building were re-ordered in a childish style and decorated with this nutshell (see my next pictures). I've never seen something like this anywhere else. Certainly, looking at numerous attractions set up for kids and youths (even in the Holocaust Museum and mostly very boring for kids art galleries!) I very easily realised that the city is very child friendly. Well, I had already learnt that the USA was a kid (and a dog :-) friendly country but Washington was significantly more.

I thought that "the No child left behind" might be a local project of improvement education, preventing crimes against children or commited by them or anything similar to that. Now, I know that the No Child Left Act is the new law, a key part of president's Bush plan of comprehensive education reform already approved by the Congress and signed by the president in January, 2002. The effectiveness and desirability of the Act's measures continue to be a matter of vigorous debate. Well, I have my own opinion on American educational system which is mostly positive, especially referring to high level education (although it's not covered by all tax payers but by particular students) and different than what I can hear from some of my friends who have never been to the USA. It's a great topic for my future USA page haha.

Just one more small observation. The key law acts are titled shortly and very "voter's friendly" not only in the USA. Haha, it's a political trick, legal and honest one, not at all known (yet!) among still not the best experienced politicians in fresh democracy in my country, Poland. Who would be against the idea of "No child left behind"? Would you prefer to support and vote for: "USA Patriot Act" or for "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001"?

othercontact: http://www.ed.gov/nclb
Website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Child_Left_Behind

• Updated Dec 21, 2005

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Washington D.C.?