"Missed by most non-American visitors" Top 5 Page for this destination Other Notable Buildings Tip by matcrazy1

THE LONGWORTH HOUSE OFFICE BUILDING
      FROM LEFT: CANNON, LONGWORTH, RAYBURN BUILDING
      THE CANNON HOUSE OFFICE BUILDING INFO SIGN
    by matcrazy1

I'd have visited and paid more attention to the buildings in my pictures if I'd known that the Representatives, members of the lower chamber of US Congress lived and worked there. The edificies didn't look special, rather modest.

Despite location on the Capitol Hill it's off the beaten path as the buildings are missed by most non-American visitors, I am sure. Although I was told that many Americans go to these buildings to see their Senator or Representative. It is here that they can get a pass to the House of Representatives or to the Senate. Especially if they want their Congressmen to know how they feel on any issue, they go there to tell them. Well, I didn't see crowds that day. Don't they have any reason to complain or just prefer to use more sophisticated and technologically advanced methods to influence their polititians?

We, a group of VT-ers: Kathy, Urszula, Chris, Nat and I, had seen information sign for visitors about Cannon House Office Building but the Capitol police car blocking 1st St. attracted us more being a perfect background for our pictures. And I didn't figure out what House Office Building meant.

We walked westwards along Independence Avenue looking at 3 long, monumental House Office Buildings (HOB):
1. The Cannon HOB - the oldest congressional office building completed in 1908 in not my favourite Beaux Arts style;
2. The Longworth HOB completed in 1963 in the Neo-Classical Revival style with an impressive portico topped by a pediment looks similar to the buildings of the National Gallery of Art and the Jefferson Memorial;
3. The Rayburn HOB completed in 1965 in the classical style with a white marble facade above a pink granite base.
The only part of the buildings open for visitors is located in the Cannon HOB (entrance on the NW corner) but I missed it. There is an impressive Rotunda and the Caucus Room to see in the building.

Phone: 202-225-6827
Website: http://www.aoc.gov/cc/cobs/chob.cfm

• Updated Dec 25, 2005

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Washington D.C.?