"The busloads" Top 5 Page for this destination Cornwall Favorite Tip by iandsmith

Cornwall General: 79 reviews and 110 photos

Classic eating houses at Tintagel
      Classic eating houses at Tintagel
    by iandsmith
      The inside story on the Pengenna pastries
    by iandsmith

Favorite thing: The wind ruffled the tufted grasses and rode the exposed rocks. It accelerated across the hill tops and flexed the surface of the sea, bringing with it the rain-bearing pewter clouds that dispensed occasional showers and had people reaching for their umbrellas.
Yet still they came. By bike, by car, by busload. I'm glad I wasn't here when it was busy. Everywhere reminders of the mythical King Arthur were thrust in your face. The name of every second building seemed to echo with something pertaining to the legend and tacky souvenirs bespoke success in promoting the image in times past. I was pleased that at least the pre-Tintagel video sought to bring some sanity to the issue but, I couldn't help but notice when I was there that we were the only ones who stopped to view it.

Fondest memory: The eating houses at least seemed to offer quality. We ate directly across from the access road entrance, where fresh pasties of considerable size were offered by an apparently well-known purveyor of this Cornish delicacy.
Seeking refuge from the potential rain we wisely decided to eat indoors, a wise choice as luck would have it as was but five minutes later when the water again descended.
We had descended on Pengenna Pasties, one of a chain of three outlets on the north coast of Cornwall that serves, in my estimation, some of the finest pasties in the land. I say that only having tasted the Lamb Pasty (their spelling) but Rosemarie seemed similarly happy with the vegetable pasty.

• Updated Dec 10, 2005

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Cornwall?