"Good Location" Mercure Hevelius Tip by RickinDutch

Mercure Hevelius, Gdansk: 249 reviews and 12 photos

Stayed here for one night in 1991, shortly after the fall of the old regime. They were working hard to put their old ways behind and were fairly successful in providing good service.

I was part of a guided tour thru Western Poland and spent the night meeting with some business people that owed my company a large quantity of money. So they were nice hosts for dinner and then drinks in the night club located in the hotel basement afterwards.

What I didn't realize until my hosts had left and I was heading back to my room (where my elderly father was snoozing) was that the ladies who had kept stopping by our table all night expected to be paid for their time. Nothing happened as far as I knew that required compensating but two of them and the bar tender followed me onto the elevator loudly proclaiming I owed a vast amount of funds for the evening. Rather than wake dad up - I paid them off. $200USD. Never did figure out how to get reimbursed for that fiasco! But our Polish customer did pay us shortly after my visit so it wasn't all for naught.

I don't know what the room charges were since we were part of a tour and it was 15 years ago anyway.

Our room was small but with a great view of the Gdansk shipyards where it all began.

Food was good and plentiful at diiner in the hotel's dining room. Breakfast buffet was memorable in how bad it was. All I wanted was an egg!

Address: 22 Helielusza Street Gdansk 80 890
Comparison: N/A
Phone: 48 58 3210000
Price: N/A
Theme: Hotel

• Written Dec 5, 2005

Comments

RickinDutch

“Enough castles for today - where's the pub?”

Have you been to Gdansk?