"Walking the walk" Top 5 Page for this destination Cornwall Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Cornwall Things to Do: 327 reviews and 669 photos

The beach where Du Maurier once wrote
      The beach where Du Maurier once wrote
      Looking to the lighthouse
    by iandsmith
      Note the odd shape of the house
    by iandsmith

Thus it was that after Sir Geoff had found a carpark, somewhere on the horizon, he was able to bring Mary down for the cursory indroduction before we commenced our walk. In true VTer style we amicably reached an agreement to point ourselves in the direction of the ocean and see what transpired.
As we climbed away from Fore Street up the Esplanade there were some signs, however slight, that perhaps I had a slight fitness edge. Since the day was about enjoyment, and not a contest (don't mention the cricket please), we proceeded along the sunny side of the street, with the cool wind off the sea making its presence felt it seemed like the sensible thing to do.
Around the area where Daphne du Maurier spent some of her time living and writing there's a little beach, a delightful sanctuary from just about everything. It was on the opposite side where I contacted Love Lane and, probably inspired by a bit of bush, I bounded on up the track to St. Catherine's Castle. Alas, poor Mary was not to be seen and it was some time before she became visible, shaking her head at the pace I had set, Geoff in attendance.
My next trick, ever mindful of trying to get that special shot, was to bash my way through the scrub to obtain a better angle on the castle. Poor Geoff did something even sillier - he followed me!.
The rest of the track wound through some wind blown trees before opening out onto Allday's Fields from whence you could scan about 250 degrees with the westerly lighthouse coming into view at the top of the hill. Apart from the wind it was a lovely day. Nothing like good companionship and a brisk (for some) walk to blow away the cobwebs. We later repaired to The Esplanade once more and, after we found several restaurants closed, we returned to the first one we had passed and sat to sip awhile in a lovely relaxed atmosphere. This was how we came to eat at The Red Herring, a cafe with excellent service and plastic chairs.
All I can say is, thank you Mary and Geoff for a lovely afternoon in Fowey.

• Updated Dec 12, 2005

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Cornwall?