"Don't Leave Valuables in Your Car!" Top 5 Page for this destination Car Rental Tip by AKtravelers
Car Rental, Oahu: 6 reviews and 5 photos
Hawaii has a low crime rate compared to most U.S. states and Honolulu has a low crime rate compared to most U.S. cities. You can generally feel safe in Hawaii -- especially anent violent crime. However, your stuff won't be safe if you leave it in your car; the type of crime that Hawaii does lead the country in is car break-ins. The driving force behind this is widespread drug use (crystal methamphetemine) -- users are looking for quick cash and pawnable gear to finance their next purchase. Basically, these theives believe that renal cars genenerally have valuables inside -- don't let them be right!
You will see evidence of car break-ins everywhere. The tell-tale sign is shattered glass in a parking lot. I've seen this at strip malls, at the Pali Overlook and on the North Shore. Especially vulnerable are the cars parked at roadsides that have beach access. So, start thinking about this as you leave for the day -- don't put anything in your car that you're not willing to carry with you when you leave the car.
If you don't think I'm serious, I'll let you know that it happened to me in September 2008 -- and my car is decked out as a local vehicle. I was parked in fashionable Lanikai right by the beach -- so it can happen anywhere!
A story: friends of mine who live in Hawaii and have taken up surfing found a great remote spot where they could often surf alone with great waves and no reefs. On populated Oahu, they were astounded at their luck, until the their third visit. After retruning from the water, they had found that all of their cars had been broken into -- side windows smashed. Luckily, they had left no valuables in their cars. But they never surfed there again.
More Warnings and Dangers in Oahu (6)
More Reviews (87)
- See All The Contemporary Museum: Art & a View
- See All friendly Vietnamese-French food in...
- See All Ko'olau: America's Hardest Golf Course! ...
- See All Hawaiian Waters Water Park: Why?
- See All Walk to Makapu'u Point: See Whales!
- See All Boom!! Fireworks for New Years!
- See All Introduced Species: A Threat to Hawaii
- See All Shop Like a Local at Aloha Stadium
- Air Travel is Required -- for Now!
- See All THE Hotspot is a Bar in a Mall (Really)
- See All A Refurbished Efficiency Hotel
- It's Hawaii! Bring Beach Stuff!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to Oahu?Share Your Travels