"Good hot chocolate and a plop" New York City Shopping Tip by skywalkerbeth

New York City Shopping: 747 reviews and 645 photos

Here is a brief list I compiled of places to stop in for hot chocolate during a marathon Xmas shopping spree. I posted a query on chowhound and thought I'd share the replies here...

Petite Abeille. They serve up a fine Belgian hot chocolate and have several places around the city.

"Serendipity" which is always crowded, gets even worse during the holiday season so I would not recommend it as a drop-in kind of place. They do take reservations however, so if you're planning to hit Bloomingdales it's just a block away.

Fauchon, on Park Av., near 56th St., serves very rich, delicious hot chocolate. Good food and pastries as well. The elegant ambiance and comfortable seating make it a lovely place to take a breather during a shopping expedition.

If you're in the mood for decadent hot chocolate, my pick is City Bakery. Others prefer Jacques Torres, Marie Belle, and La Maison du Chocolat. I've tried them all but still go back to City Bakery.

i love the chocolates at jacques torres, but had their hot chocolate once and found it too rich and heavy for my taste. it was good, but i didn't feel like moving at all after i had it. not sure if that's a good in between for shopping. it may just end your shopping spree.

I love the spicy Aztec cocoa at Vosges, at 132 Spring (near Greene) in SoHo. As I recall they only have a few bar stools, but it's a cheerful, bright room to spend a few minutes in. There's also Chocolate Bar at 48 8th near Horation St.

Also in soho (on Broome, I think) is Mariebelle's. Good hot chocolate.. And although I doubt you will be shopping on the Upper West Side, the hot chocolate at SQC (Columbus and 72nd) is quite delicious.

I've tried the white chocolate hot chocolate (w/lavender?) at Vosges, but it was too weak for my taste. I didn't much care for my mocha or chocolate at Chocolate Bar. I've also tried Fauchon, mentioned above, and found it powdery.

Theme: Food and Drink

• Written Nov 28, 2005

Comments

skywalkerbeth

“Seize life by the tail and give it a good shake!”

Have you been to New York City?