"Pearl Harbor: A Must See" Top 5 Page for this destination Pearl Harbour Tip by AKtravelers
Pearl Harbour, Oahu: 78 reviews and 194 photos
Certainly, everyone visiting Oahu knows the history behind Pearl Harbor: on Sunday morning 7 December 1941 a Japanese surprise attack nearly destroyed the entire U.S. fleet docked at the U.S. Naval Base there. Yet, visiting the memorial run by the National Park Service will make it real like never before. First, you will see a short film covering the entire Battle of Oahu -- the Japanese also attacked Hickam Air Base, Schofield Barracks, Honolulu Harbor and other points on the island. Then you'll take a short boat ride out to the USS Arizona Memorial, which lies astride the sunken vessel itself. I didn't realize until I got out there that you can still see some of the USS Arizona from the platform of the memorial and that oil still leaks from the fuel tanks below deck -- it has continued in a slow trickle since 7 December 1941!. Finally, you'll be reminded that over 1000 sailors still lie entombed in the USS Arizona, victims of the attack. It was a lot more moving than I expected.
More Things to Do in Oahu (22)
More Reviews (71)
- See All The Contemporary Museum: Art & a View
- See All friendly Vietnamese-French food in...
- See All Ko'olau: America's Hardest Golf Course! ...
- See All Hawaiian Waters Water Park: Why?
- See All Boom!! Fireworks for New Years!
- See All Introduced Species: A Threat to Hawaii
- See All Red Dirt Will Stain Forever
- See All Shop Like a Local at Aloha Stadium
- Air Travel is Required -- for Now!
- See All THE Hotspot is a Bar in a Mall (Really)
- See All A Refurbished Efficiency Hotel
- It's Hawaii! Bring Beach Stuff!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to Oahu?Share Your Travels