"Go Snorkeling at Huanauma Bay" Top 5 Page for this destination Beaches / Coastlines Tip by AKtravelers
Beaches / Coastlines, Oahu: 135 reviews and 263 photos
Huanauma Bay, east of Honolulu, is the premier snorkeling spot on Oahu. It is a protected volcano-formed bay populated with brightly-colored fish who come for the food and shelter provided by an extensive reef system. Visitors used to be able to feed the fish, which certainly added to the population and maybe still attracts fish with long memories. While feeding is no longer practiced, visitors can still rent snorkeling gear on the spot and jump right in among the beautiful swimmers after viewing a short video on the ecology of the bay. This was the first place I ever snorkeled in my life and still among the best.
When you're done snorkeling, there's an excellent beach on which you can rest and a path out to a blow hole (the eastern side of the bay). However, this place is popular, so get there early or plan a late afternoon arrival, after the crowds are likely to have dispersed. Don't make plans to go on Tuesday though, as the Bay is closed.
One concern is the arrival of box jellyfish, which can close the bay to snorkeling. There is a website that posts the probably arrival of the jellyfish, and you might use it to plan your snorkeling trip if you have some flexibility. It is http://www.honolulu.gov/esd/oceansafety/boxjellymainpage.htm
Directions: Head east of Honolulu through Hawaii Kai. If you get to Makapu'u Point, you've gone too far.
More Things to Do in Oahu (22)
More Reviews (71)
- See All The Contemporary Museum: Art & a View
- See All friendly Vietnamese-French food in...
- See All Ko'olau: America's Hardest Golf Course! ...
- See All Hawaiian Waters Water Park: Why?
- See All Boom!! Fireworks for New Years!
- See All Introduced Species: A Threat to Hawaii
- See All Red Dirt Will Stain Forever
- See All Shop Like a Local at Aloha Stadium
- Air Travel is Required -- for Now!
- See All THE Hotspot is a Bar in a Mall (Really)
- See All A Refurbished Efficiency Hotel
- It's Hawaii! Bring Beach Stuff!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to Oahu?Share Your Travels