"Throughout South Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Wilderness Transportation Tip by Huntress_7499
Wilderness Transportation: 1 reviews and 0 photos
Robberies, assaults & similar occur regularly & though police do their best to provide security, it's not enough to deter criminals.
Numerous tourist have been robbed on Table Mountain.
1. Wear any jewelery inside your clothers.
2. Keep your bag close to your body & zipped tight.
3. NEVER TRAVEL ALONE /
4. AT NIGHT
5. Position yourself so you can see entrances - carpark / coach.
6. Be watchful of unusual behaviour - people standing at doors / wearing long sleeves on hot days.
7. Keep parcels to a minimum. It will help you in running away in case of trouble.
8. Do not fight to keep a grabbed bag / jewelry - it is not worth your loosing your life over!
9. Never display expensive equipment openly (phone, camera)
10. If you have to travel by trains & taxis, travel during peak hours when there's lots of people around / hire an accredited taxi /car.
11. Supervise children AT ALL TIMES. Kids go missing regularly.
12. Always check your car & parkingarea BEFORE entering, lock all doors immediately & keep locked.
13. Watch out for beggars /people at traffic lights & intersections. Many bags are stolen through open windows here.
14. NEVER SLEEP WITH OPEN, UNLOCKED DOORS /open windows without burglar bars.
15. Women & children are subjected to high rape risks in South Africa. Dress modestly to avoid attracting attention.
16. AIDS is a huge problem in SA. Practice safe sex.
17. Go to a police station where more than one policeman can be found.
18. Do not flash cash around, even in small amounts.
19. Keep you wallet protected & documents safe. Victims find themselves married to strangers without their knowllege due to Identification fraud.
20. Watch our for fake money! (R100 notes, R5 coins)
21. ASK AROUND before going to unfamiliar areas. Locals know the areas & where it's unsafe to travel. It is better to sound stupid than to be stupid: ASK!!!
Emergency #: 11111
Huntress_7499's Related Pages
Have you been to Wilderness?Share Your Travels