"Check out the Pali Overlook" Top 5 Page for this destination Historical Sites Tip by AKtravelers
Historical Sites, Oahu: 64 reviews and 245 photos
One of the best ways to get to the northeastern part of Oahu is to take the Pali Highway to Kaneohe. This drive crests a steep mountain range, at the top of which is the Pali Overlook. From here, you get a great view of the northeastern coast. My friend Ray informed me of a local superstition that many Oahuans still worry about: if you drive up the Pali Highway with raw pork in your car, it is likely to break down, stranding you on what used to be a dark and forbidding path until its straightening and widening in the last 30 years. I took the opportunity to ask a few locals at the overlook whether or not they observed the superstition and they all said they did. Since pork is a primary meat in the native Hawaiian diet, it must take a certain amount of concentration (and fear) to keep clear of the god Pele, who does the punishing in these parts. Of course, Ray, being the rebel, informed me that he made the trip unscathed with pork when he was a teenager. His life has seemingly been untroubled since then.
If you're like me, you're more interested in history than superstitions. So you'll be happy to know that the Pali overlook has the advantage of being adjacent to the site of the last major battle in King Kamehameha I's quest to unify all the Hawaiian Islands under one monarchy. He defeated an invading force from Maui, pushing many off the edge of the cliff. Though this battle occurred in the 1700's, both sides used firearms. During the construction of the highway through the pass, more than 500 skulls left over from the battle were discovered. No word on whether or not the Maui forces were carrying raw pork.
More Things to Do in Oahu (22)
More Reviews (71)
- See All The Contemporary Museum: Art & a View
- See All friendly Vietnamese-French food in...
- See All Ko'olau: America's Hardest Golf Course! ...
- See All Hawaiian Waters Water Park: Why?
- See All Boom!! Fireworks for New Years!
- See All Introduced Species: A Threat to Hawaii
- See All Red Dirt Will Stain Forever
- See All Shop Like a Local at Aloha Stadium
- Air Travel is Required -- for Now!
- See All THE Hotspot is a Bar in a Mall (Really)
- See All A Refurbished Efficiency Hotel
- It's Hawaii! Bring Beach Stuff!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to Oahu?Share Your Travels