"Grocery store from 1980'" Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1
Gdansk Things to Do: 537 reviews and 1,498 photos
There is a reconstruction of a grocery store from late 1970' or 1980' in the Roads to Freedom exhibiion. It reminds me a typical grocery store I used to see that time. There were only bottles of vinegar, jars of mustard and bags of tea on shelves of Krakow's grocery stores that time. In Gdansk tea was replaced by orangeade. These cheeses in a fridge are, as stated on a piece of paper, fake ("ATRAPY"). It was a kind of quite irritating decoration. I remember well those writings displayed in each grocery:
- goods are given (to customers) by a shop assistant,
- be right back
- we screen the eggs on demand :-)
- a cash desk out of use, service a counter.
I'd add a lot of others, like:
- closed for the renovation (or painting) till (and no date)
- closed, no electricity
- closed, holidays
- we have nothing to sell (on a door of an open store)
I'd add numerous instructions referring to the lines in a store. The Central Commeetee of the Polish United Worker's Party spent long hours to make funny law which should make an order in lines. All stores belonged to the state that time. Well, many of them were closed for renovation as it was stated on closed doors. In fact, there were closed their staff to have an additional (paid) holidays.
Consumer goods were so scarse they were strictly rationed. Even though coupons and talons were introduced, it was still very difficult to buy the most essential products because of constant shortages. People used to queque for hours to buy food, clothes, shoes, furniture etc.
Address: Ul. Doki 1, Gdansk
Directions: On the grounds of former Gdansk shipyard. About 15 min. on foot from the Main Railway Station (Gdansk Glowny): go northwards to Solidarity Square, pass through the shipyard gate right to the Monument to the Fallen Shipyard Workers.
Phone: +48 (58) 769 29 20
More Reviews (196)
- See All For rich and famous or unfamous
- See All To Westerplatte by car
- See All Where do they live?
- See All Private house of Walesa
- See All Few and little shells
- See All Bathing in the Baltic Sea
- See All Fresh, fried fish :-)
- See All Tourist info, amber, silver, gifts
- See All Not prepared for foreign visitors
- See All The best concert hall in Europe!
- See All The Motlawa river at sunset
- See All Travel books
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Gdansk?Share Your Travels