"Healing Spas!" Slovakia Things to Do Tip by lmkluque

Slovakia Things to Do: 220 reviews and 347 photos

Mountain cabin near the spa
by lmkluque

I've been aware of the healing powers attributed to spas in Slovakia since I was a little girl. My grandparents told me that they had both been cured of blindness by bathing their eyes in the healing waters at a Slovakian Spa. Of course, it sounded magical but I innocently believed them.

As I grew-up, I still believed that they believed it, but I was skeptical and in time I had forgotten completely about it. Then my Slovak cousin, in a letter, told me that she had taken her son to one of these spas to cure his respiratory ailment. The treatment lasted about two weeks and the National Health was paying.

In and around the High Tatras there are hundreds of these healing spas for all kinds of diseases. These spas take various forms. There are a range of caves and breathing the fresh, moist air is believed to relieve asthma. Mud, peat and mineral waters are considered natural healers. Whether or not you believe in the possibility, it is a sure thing that the beauty of the this mountain region, it's grassy meadows, forest of trees, the clean mountain air and the pure flowing waters will have their effect and a trip out here will surely enhance your vacation.

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

lmkluque

“Assume Good Intent”

Have you been to Slovakia?