"The Tartars!" Slovakia Things to Do Tip by lmkluque

Slovakia Things to Do: 218 reviews and 337 photos

Winter at the Summer Palace.
by lmkluque

There is something special about Vysoke Tatry (High Tartars.) This part of the Carpathian Mountain range offers unspoiled scenery, fresh air and pure flowing waters. The famous healing Spas are found here and all the typical mountain and river sports as well as resorts attract the tourists.

The Tatras are not the highest in Europe which hasn't anything to do with the sense of well being one can feel just visiting. It is not as well known outside of Slovakia but this is a place you should not overlook, even if mountain climbing isn't your thing. Of course, if it is your thing, attempt these mountains with great caution. There are very few easy trails and many more precarious areas, so take a guide and follow their suggestions.

The weather is volatile and often deadly as the Tatras abruptly emerge, peaking at more than 6,500 feet above the villages and its conditions change rapidly. It is common in the summer for the villagers to experience hot weather while it's snowing in the mountains.

If you plan a stay make sure you have reservation. This is a summer and winter resort area and very popular with the Slovaks as well as the growing tourist trade. There are resorts in villages at the base, but hard-core mountaineers might like to stay at a high-altitude cottage, somthing like a hostel.

When she came to visit me in California, I drove my Slovak cousin to Montana to meet more relatives. During our journey, she kept asking, "Where is the country?" We had driven through the remote eastern section of California, through the deserts of Nevada and she still asked, "Where is the country?" We drove into Utah with it's Canyons, Bryce and Zion, along the Snake River and still, "Where is the country?"

I thought, wait until we go through the Rockies, then she'll be happy. No such luck. Smack in the middle of the Rocky Mountains she said, "Where is the country?" Finally it dawned on me. Her reference for "The Country" was very different from mine, and if you go to the High Tartars, you'll see what I mean.

• Updated Nov 29, 2005

“Assume Good Intent”

Have you been to Slovakia?