"Ajmer, Jaragarh fort" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Things to Do Tip by darthmilmo

State of Rajasthan Things to Do: 177 reviews and 484 photos

Jaragarh fort, Ajmer

Jaragarh fort, Ajmer
      Flavored crushed ice - We still had room for deser
    by darthmilmo
      Don't forget to kiss the holly white-stone
      Another religious tomb inside Jaragarh fort, Ajmer
      Aerial view of Dargah of Khwaja Mu'inuddin Chisti,
    by darthmilmo

We hadn't finished digesting all that food when we set up for the arduous climb to Jaragarh fort on top of a hill overlooking Ajmer. The five of us thus walked past the narrow streets of Ajmer, past an old dilapidated mosque, across the side of a lake, and up thru the hard path up to the fort. En route, we stopped to kiss the holly white-stone, whose significance escapes my memory at this point. The fort came on full view and eventually we crossed the main gate. We entered what appeared to be a little town. We removed our shoes and walked up to another sacred tomb. The complex is far less elaborate, but still merits a visit. We entered the main tomb, which was also covered with velvet blanket. After getting a blessing, we descended down the hill following the main easy route to the fort. It was here where we experienced the flood of beggars asking you for baksheesh (money). The scene reminded me of the old biblical times with several of the beggars sitting on a rug with an improvised blanket-tent built for shade. I swear one man with his turban and beard could have been one of the figures on my grandma?s nativity set, who she used during Christmas season as a decoration. Alas, he was Muslim. As we reentered the city, we began seeing vendors selling change so you can give money to beggars. Up to this point, I only new the 50 paise (cents) coins, but now I saw a 25 paise and a 10 paise coin!

• Written Nov 21, 2005

Comments

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Have you been to State of Rajasthan?