"Ajmer, Dargah of Khwaja Mu'inuddin Chisti, part II" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Things to Do Tip by darthmilmo

State of Rajasthan Things to Do: 177 reviews and 484 photos

Dargah of Khwaja Mu'inuddin Chisti

Dargah of Khwaja Mu'inuddin Chisti
    by darthmilmo
      Pilgrims carrying a velvet blanket
    by darthmilmo
      Group of musicians chanting religious hymns
    by darthmilmo

As you enter into Dargah of Khwaja Mu'inuddin Chisti thru the main gate, you walk past Shah Jahan Masjid, a courtyard made of white marble. The Dargah (tomb) lies in the inner court. It's made out of white marble as well and is covered by golden plaiting. As you enter the tomb, you do a clockwise circle around it. Notice the golden decorations in the ceiling. The tomb itself is covered with velvet blankets left by pilgrims and is in turn protected by a rail. A man gave me a blessing with a prayer stick and by placing a cloth above me head. It was such a spiritual place that I had to sit down to digest what I had just experienced. I sat next to a group of musicians chanting religious hymns. It was the perfect spot to see the pilgrims. I noticed several of them taking video and pictures of the place so I went ahead and took some myself. I then came across a group of four pilgrims taking pics from all sorts of angles around the Tomb. I approached them and ask them to take a pic for me. Afterwards, Jawed, as I later was to find out his name, asked me to be in a pic with him and his friends. I agreed and handed my camera to his friends to have a copy myself. We all talked for a while about the place. Jawed came with his two bro-in-law and a friend. They live in Baroda, a city in Gujarat. I was about to say my goodbyes when Jawed cordially invited me to join them for lunch. We went to a non-veg restaurant near the tomb. I let them order for me and we ended up having a big feast of mutton, chicken, veggies, rice, chappatti, and an onion salad. I hadn't eaten this much since arriving in India so it was quite a treat. In the end, they refused any money from me saying that I was their guest.

• Written Nov 21, 2005

Comments

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Have you been to State of Rajasthan?