"Pushkar" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Things to Do Tip by darthmilmo

State of Rajasthan Things to Do: 177 reviews and 484 photos

by darthmilmo

Pushkar is a lovely town situated near the Thar Desert. Most travelers access this town from the town of Ajmer. The bus climbed a steep hill to descent to the town of Pushkar. This is a famous pilgrimage site for the Hindus, particularly those who follow Brahma. The lake in town is believed to lay right where a lotus thrown by Brahma, Hindu god, landed. As such, tons of Hindu pilgrims visit the Ghats around the lake to immerse and clean themselves in the lakes holly water. As a testimony to the holly lake, one can see dozen of temples in town (sadly, foreigners are not allowed inside many of these temples).

The international fame of Pushkar is its world renowned camel fair that is held every year on November. The small town is flooded by over 100,000 ppl that come to see the festivities. The actual camel and cattle trading now takes place a week before the festival begins.

Alas, I visited Pushkar during the off-season. After settling in, I walked around town. My first stop was at the Raygi Temple (Hindu), where I walked around the outside to admire its many frescos. My next stop was at one of the many Ghats whose name I can't recall. I removed my shoes and proceeded to walk down the stairs towards the lake. I could see local boys swimming in a man made pool next to the lake. A few pilgrims where bathing and cleansing themselves.

I spent the rest of the afternoon exploring the interesting bazar in town. The narrow streets of town get filled with stores as you approach the lake. Catering to the western tourist, the bazar sells a wide range of products from back home. They also sell overpriced souvenirs and the like. As it was getting dark, I headed out to eat before calling it a night.

• Written Nov 21, 2005

Comments

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Have you been to State of Rajasthan?