"Jaipur" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Things to Do Tip by darthmilmo

State of Rajasthan Things to Do: 177 reviews and 484 photos

Traffic at Jaipur - from camel carts to cicle rick

Traffic at Jaipur - from camel carts to cicle rick
      City Palace, Jaipur
      Construction worker at City Palace, Jaipur
    by darthmilmo
      Barber on the side of the road, Jaipur
      Hawa Mahal (Palace of Winds), Jaipur
    by darthmilmo

I felt shocked as I arrived to the 2 million plus chaotic city of Jaipur. After settling in at an uncharismatic hotel, I took of exploring the city. I headed downtown to the City Palace. In my humbly opinion, it is not worthy of a visit as it is now only expensive compare to other palaces, but more importantly, it lacks character. The main attraction, the Chandra Mahal, is closed to the public as it houses the royal family. To make it worse, there are no vantage points to admire its 7 stories from within the palace. For those willing to enter the palace, you can see a collection of clothes and textiles, an armory and weapons exhibit, a rug exhibit, and a miniature painting and photography exhibit.

Nearby, I visited the impressive Jantar Mantar Observatory. Built by the Maharaya Jai Singh in the early 1700's, this complex houses huge astronomical instruments built from marble and metal in such a grand scale that it allowed him to calculate astronomical data with superb precision. Definitely worth a visit!

I continued walking around down town in the bazar area. Jaipur bazar is supposed to be one of the largest in India. The wide streets are covered with bldgs full of stores that sell everything your heart desires. On one of the streets, you can admire the great facade of the Hawa Mahal (Palace of Winds). This 5 story pink sandstone bldg is covered with small balconies and windows making for a great treat as you walk by the street.

I then proceeded to get lost as I exit the bazar and explored the small alleyways full of residential houses. I came across a Jain temple and was invited to come in by a small girl. When we got to the altar, she demanded me to leave $100 USD. I laughed and left the place as she kept insisting for the money.

• Written Nov 21, 2005

Comments

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Have you been to State of Rajasthan?