"Mt. Abu, part I" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Things to Do Tip by darthmilmo

State of Rajasthan Things to Do: 177 reviews and 484 photos

Nakki Tala Lake
      Nakki Tala Lake
      Pilgrim at Adhar Devi
    by darthmilmo

Mt. Abu is Rajasthan's only hill station, a word used to describe a settlement up in the highlands where the weather is cooler and more pleasant. Mt. Abu is located on the south part of the state near the border with Gujarat and as such is a popular retreat with Indians during the heat of the summer. The ride up hill was superb as you leave the lowlands and climb quickly up into the mountains. The scenery from the bus was spectacular. As soon as I had settled in the hotel, I took a walk around town. I walked down the bazar, which is designed to sell touristy items and clothes to the tourists. I walked as far as Nakki Tala Lake, where I enjoyed looking at the views even with a huge mass of Indian tourists in sight. I then returned back walking around the polo grounds.

The following day, I took a day tour around the region to visit several interesting sites. Our first stop was at the temple of Adhar Devi. This interesting Hindu Temple lies on top of a hill. You walk over 300 steps to reach it. I followed the others up to pay my respects and afterwards got to enjoy a spectacular view of the surrounding areas below. We then took of to Honeymoon point, which is said to have even better views of the valley below. Unfortunately, it was far too cloudy to truly appreciate it. So, I visited Ganesh Temple instead. He is my favorite Hindu God. Son of Siva, legend has it that his father cut his head off. His mother wouldn't have the end of it and demanded to him to bring back his son. And so he did, giving Ganesh the head of the first animal he saw, an elephant. Ganesh is the god of good beginnings and clearer of obstacles. You usually see his figure in entrances across India.

Our next stop was at a famous yoga and meditation center. Mt. Abu is world renown for its many ashrams offering the visitors a wide range of yoga and meditation courses. Its cool climate allows it to be a welcoming experience to all.

• Written Nov 21, 2005

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Have you been to State of Rajasthan?