Grand Cafe de l'Opera: "Lived Up to Its Reputation" Grand Cafe de l'Opera Tip by Msavaria

Grand Cafe de l'Opera, Toulouse: 1 reviews and 0 photos

This is a brasserie that is highly recommended by the guidebooks. I wasn't sure I wanted that kind of atmosphere, but I walked by and peeked in, and it looked very nice -- tan leather upholstery, comfortable seating, crisp, white linens. In photos, it had appeared brightly lit and brassy, but it wasn't like that. On the Monday evening we were there, it seemed romantic. The food was excellent and artfully presented. The waitstaff was nice and helpful. Other diners got bread. We didn't. That was O.K. That happens everywhere, and I'm sure they would have given us some had we asked for it.

Favorite Dish: My husband had the oysters, which he said were the best he'd ever had, and the presentation was quite spectacular. The dish with the oysters was on a pedestal over the plate with the sauces, lemon, and bread. We both had the dessert of the day. I don't remember what it was called, but it tasted like a butterscotch mousse with some chocolate bits and maybe nuts served in something like a martini glass. I had asked the waitress to help me decide between two choices, and she did not steer me wrong. We had had a bad experience with a "corked" wine at another restaurant during our vacation, so I was glad to see that the waitress smelled the cork before even allowing us to taste. I had magret de canard, a choice on the pris-fixe menu, and it was excellent and cooked just as I had expected it to be.

Address: Place Capitole
Price Comparison: about average
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 5
Theme: French

• Updated Nov 18, 2005

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Toulouse?