"Ruins of Westerplatte" Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Off The Beaten Path Tip by matcrazy1
Gdansk Off The Beaten Path: 118 reviews and 390 photos
I have seen the model of the Polish Military Transit Depot in Westerplatte in the museum in the Guard-house No.1. On the way to the main monument I saw ruins of the Polish garrison after attacks of German forces during the first 7 days of September 1939. They are remained as they looked after the heavy bombings from the air, land and the sea. I realized how bad damages were done by the 280mm and 150mm main guns of the German battleship Schleswig-Holstein. No wonder, each shells from the Schleswig-Holstein weighed 350 kg (!).
Although the ruins are not fenced, follow the warning signs and keep away of them.
Phone: +48 (58) 343 69 72
More Off The Beaten Path in Gdansk (48)
More Reviews (247)
- See All For rich and famous or unfamous
- See All To Westerplatte by car
- See All Where do they live?
- See All Few and little shells
- See All Bathing in the Baltic Sea
- See All Fresh, fried fish :-)
- See All Tourist info, amber, silver, gifts
- See All Not prepared for foreign visitors
- See All Not seen for years
- See All The best concert hall in Europe!
- See All The Motlawa river at sunset
- See All Travel books
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Gdansk?Share Your Travels