"The Swan Tower" Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1
Gdansk Things to Do: 539 reviews and 1,503 photos
The medieval, brick Swan Tower (Baszta Labedz) located at nothern end of the Long Waterfront (Dlugie Pobrzeze), by the Motlawa river, looks especially charming at night. The 4-floor structure is 25 m high, 11 m wide. Its walls are 3 m thick.
Built in the 14th century, the structure called the Fisherman's Tower, was a part of the Teutonic castle which had to be defended against the neighbouring city of Gdansk. The castle was destroyed during the rebel of Gdansk citizens in 1454. The new tower, you can see now, was built on the foundations of the old one. But this time, the defensive part of the tower with holes and stands for the guards was put on its opposite side and overlooked the Motlawa river. The tower was severely damaged in 1945 and rebuilt in 1967.
Address: Targ Rybny, Gdansk
Directions: Walk eastwards Dluga street, pass through the Green Gate at the end and turn left to Dlugie Pobrzeze along the Motlawa river. The tower on the left, some 0.5 km ahead. About 40 min. on foot from the Main Railway Station (Gdansk Glowny).
More Reviews (196)
- See All For rich and famous or unfamous
- See All To Westerplatte by car
- See All Where do they live?
- See All Private house of Walesa
- See All Few and little shells
- See All Bathing in the Baltic Sea
- See All Fresh, fried fish :-)
- See All Tourist info, amber, silver, gifts
- See All Not prepared for foreign visitors
- See All The best concert hall in Europe!
- See All The Motlawa river at sunset
- See All Travel books
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Gdansk?Share Your Travels