The Vintners Rooms: "Good French Food" Vintner's Rooms - CLOSED Tip by Suet

Vintner's Rooms - CLOSED, Edinburgh: 1 reviews and 0 photos

We dined there on Bonfire Night this year (2005) as a special occasion. I was dressed up, but smart casual will do. I asked hubby to wear a tie and jacket which he did. I think you probably need a taxi to find this, we drove around for a while before we found it, but it was well worth the effort. It is opposite the Vintners pub, face that and turn around and you go through an arch into what looks like was an inn or hostel with a livery stables.

It has a quiet elegance when you enter, straight into the bar with high backed settle chairs for you to use while waiting to be seated. Then you are shown into a elegant high ceilinged room which is lit entirely by candlelight. The chandelier has them as well. The soft lighting is not only romantic, but it hides the wrinkling that age bestows on you.

There is a huge mirror in the room, which reflects the candlelight, and if you sit at the right table, you can observe your fellow diners unobtrusively. I could also admire my two lovely men, Roy and hubby !

For starters, Hubby had scallops, Roy the pigeon and I had the squid. Cost for each dish is around 8.50, followed by monk fish on a bed of spinach and seasoned with fennel, Roy had the braised lamb shank. These dishes were around 19.00 each.

Dessert was a dream I had the chocolate cake *what else?*, all desserts were 5.50.

Add on the Pouilly Fume at at 23 and the Sancerre at 32 and the whole meal came to 152.

I felt it was certainly money well spent, the food was well presented and the wines not overpriced, considering the vintage. We got home around midnight feeling well fed and happy.

Favorite Dish: I like the scallops. They were tender and succulent. I tried everyone elses dishes as well, found the pigeon and lamb to be a bit rich for me.

Lunch is 1200-1400, dinner 1900-2200 from Tuesday to Saturday, CLOSED Sunday and Monday. Menu is a la carte with 6-7 starters, 6-7 main courses and 5 desserts plus cheese to choose from.

Address: 87 Giles Street Edinbugh
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: It's down in the Leith area of trendy homes and restaurants, but it is well hidden.
Phone: 0131 554 6767
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 5
Theme: French

• Written Nov 16, 2005

Suet Used To Live Here!

“Wear the Fox Hat!”

Have you been to Edinburgh?