Tommy's Mexican: "Pitcher this - fresh lime, hand squeezed margarita" Tommy's Mexican Tip by 7h0rn

Tommy's Mexican, San Francisco: 4 reviews and 1 photos

You would probably miss Tommy's if you weren't looking for it. So.. if you loooove Mexican/South American food and desire (not just great but) PHENOMINAL margaritas, start looking for Tommy's. It's a hole in the wall place as most good Mexican places are. It's clean, has a small bar, cluttered with ever-present Mexicans. They start making the salsas and tortillas at 6/7 am and don't open till noon. I can vouch for this because I've been up on east coast time and stood watching them make the food. The kitchen is actually in the front of the resturant and has a big window that looks out onto the street. I'm sure the chefs/cooks love that they have it. I know I adore watching people make tortillas, so I'm a fan.
Before we go ANY further... FRESH HAND SQUEEZED LIMES!! Everyday they start squeezing and I'm sure make gallons of it. Tommy's doesn't ruin those luscious limes with just any ol' tequilla you wanna order. Nope. Here you can only get... 100% Aguave tequillas... and only the higher refined ones. Personally, Hurradura Silver is my top choice... so that's what I got in mine. After sip one... we HAD to get a pitcher. It's simply unavoidable. You don't get this kind of margarita EVER! Stock up and take a cab home.

Favorite Dish: Once I had that margarita, I had to get food... otherwise I'd be face down before I even got 10 minutes into the experience. So I ordered one of the specials - beef tamale with black beans and rice (here's where the S. American part comes in) and my friend had a bean burrito with black beans and rice. Both came with a lacluster salad that we both took a bite of and said... "no thanks" to. The salsa on the salad was sweet and just kind of ruined it for me. Now I grew up on Mexican food (Dad's from Arizona) and my mom worked her butt off getting the Sonoran Mexican style down right. I had it probably twice a week growing up. When I dove into my tamale... I had to call my mom. I haven't had one for years because they are always terrible and TexMex'd up... but this... this was melt in your mouth masa and pulled beef that just disintegrated into a flavorful ball of goodness. I ate till there was nothing left to eat. Beans are deceptive things... there seems to be not a whole lot on the plate... but once you get done with them... it's like someone pumped you full of them and you'll never move again. Add to that the pitcher of yummie drinks before us, I was very thankful we were staying 2 blocks away.
Now with all this describing of it... I have to log off and go have me a nice cold drink. Enjoy!

Address: 5929 Geary Boulevard
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: At 23rd Avenue in the Richmond District
Phone: (415) 387-4747
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Mexican

• Written Nov 15, 2005

More Restaurants in San Francisco (1)

7h0rn Lives Here!

“Travel + Adventure = Life”

Have you been to San Francisco?