"German versus Polish" Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Local Custom Tip by matcrazy1
Gdansk Local Customs: 69 reviews and 146 photos
There are odd numbers of houses along a city street and even ones on the other side probably in all countries I have already visited. Well, there is one exception: Berlin, Germany.
In the old town of Gdansk it works just like in Berlin. The houses are numbered one by one on the one side and back from its end on the other side. Simple but quite different I used to see. Does it prove strong German influence in Gdansk? Maybe. In the other cities in the western part of what is Poland now, I mean the cities which belonged to Germany before WWII, houses are numbered in almost typical Polish order. The difference is that in Gdansk, each old house usually has two consecutive numbers.
More Local Customs in Gdansk (32)
More Reviews (263)
- See All For rich and famous or unfamous
- See All To Westerplatte by car
- See All Private house of Walesa
- See All Few and little shells
- See All Bathing in the Baltic Sea
- See All Fresh, fried fish :-)
- See All Tourist info, amber, silver, gifts
- See All Not prepared for foreign visitors
- See All Not seen for years
- See All The best concert hall in Europe!
- See All The Motlawa river at sunset
- See All Travel books
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Gdansk?Share Your Travels