" Those cows?" Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Things to Do Tip by belgianchocolate

Madagascar Things to Do: 137 reviews and 267 photos

"Jacques?" I said , the question was burning on my lips and Jacques was our guide for the next three days to the special reserve of Ankarana. We had been driving for miles without seeing a single human , but ... "Jacques , those cows are they wild ones?".
I could hear Jacques think , did I saw his eyebrow make a turn.
"No" he said patiently " those are not wild ones , they belong to someone."
"But who owns them?" I asked " and how do they know it is theirs".

You'll meet zebu's on the most strange places , in the most remoted area's you can find them. I always wonder how they find food. Sometimes they can be seen in such dry places. Now , the zebu's are marked with a tattoo in the ear or with a brand on the thigh.
(there were many more questions I wanted to ask...how do they find them back....have they got a name...lol lol )

Later we had a conversation about wealth. I said that Diego looked like a prosperous town to me. There were no beggars , the people were well dressed..etc. But according to Jacques I could not have been more wrong. In the south , people look poor. Badly and dirty dressed...BUT...they sometimes got like 15 zebu's. Now that is rich. Here in Diego people don't have cows.

All over Madagascar you'll meet them. They are slaughtered with special occasions and the meat is eaten then. You can eat in almost every local hotely (restaurant) zebu steak or hamburger of mini-brochette. The possibilities are eternal. The French tried to introduce cows that give milk and more meat , but the Malagasy were not interested. Those cows don't have that typical bow in the neck with fat...and that is what makes them beautiful.
I did notice they differ in size and color in different area's of the island. But I didn't found someone to bother with questions related to that. ;-)

• Updated Nov 15, 2005

“Paradise is just round the corner.... ;-) take care.”

Have you been to Madagascar?