"Piazza San Marco" Piazza San Marco Tip by Marpessa

Piazza San Marco, Venice: 311 reviews and 517 photos

Basilica San Marco and Campanile
by Marpessa

Piazza San Marco is the centre of Venice. It may often be flooded by tourists and pigeons, but it is a place that you must see when you come to Venice. In the piazza is the Basilica San Marco, the Campanile San Marco, a couple of very expensive restaurants and quite a number of boutiques (which seem expensive also).

I did not go into the Basilica or up the campanile. As by this point in my trip I had been traveling for just over a month and had been into plenty of cathedrals and did not really feel up to going into another cathedral or another tower.

Now I admit that I probably missed out on a lot by not checking out these two places, but I was feeling tired and a bit lazy when I was in Venice (plus it was so hot, I didn't want to do much at all). However, the upside to this is that it gives me a reason to come back, although maybe not in August, too many tourists.

But definitely check out the Piazza San Marco and its features, even if like me you don't go inside the cathedral, you can still admire the beauty of its Byzantine architecture from the outside - it really is a stunning building. Also the piazza is very nice at nighttime all lit up.

For some more tips on Piazza San Marco and the area, check out my travelogue 'A Few Of My Favourite Photos'

Address: Piazza San Marco, San Marco, Venice