"Alcatraz" Alcatraz Tip by richiecdisc
Alcatraz, San Francisco: 292 reviews and 488 photos
Another great way to enjoy the Bay is to get out on a boat. You can do cruises or jump on a ferry to a destination like Tiburon or Sausalito, but since you're bound to be going to Alcatraz while in the city, enjoy the free scenery en route. Alcatraz itself is a fascinating day trip in its own right and whether you arrive on a foggy or sunny day, you'll be transported back in time to it illustrious past as home to famed criminals like Al Capone and Machine Gun Kelly. As part of the National Park service, it is highly regulated and you're assured of a great value experience. It's best to purchase your tickets from the Blue & Gold booths close to Pier 39 in Fisherman's Wharf to avoid paying any kind of service fee. The round trip ferry ticket cost $16 but it includes your entrance and an audio headphone tour as well as many ranger activities you can take as you like. It's quite easy to spend an entire day there if you like historical guided walks and you should allow a minimum of four hours for the visit from Wharf to Wharf. Most find it fascinating.
Address: In the middle of San Fracisco Bay
Directions: Alcatraz is reached by ferries of the Blue and Gold fleet from Pier 41
Phone: Blue & Gold (415) 705-5555
More Things to Do in San Francisco (18)
More Reviews (39)
- See All to know her is to love her
- See All a good bet if you have a car
- See All The Haight Spot for Beer Afficionados
- See All Head to the Sonoma Valley for some wine
- picnie supplies
- There are numerous hikes close to the...
- break your shoes in before you come
- See All Try the local beers
- See All great location and better than expected
- beware the steep San Francisco streets
- riceroni, a San Francisco treat
Been to San Francisco?Share your travels with the world!
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels