"Crawl through a War Tunnel" Batu Maung Things to Do Tip by bpacker

Batu Maung Things to Do: 12 reviews and 16 photos

Frau farbissina checks out Dr Evil's escape route
by bpacker

Now if you think I'm in the CuChi Tunnel of Vietnam, you are mistaken, I'm actually in a Penang WWII tunnel, somewhere off the coast of Malaysia! This tunnel was several metres underground in a old abandoned fort (now Penang War Museum) and after crawling around for a while, I had to hoist my self up a tall metal staircase(9.14m) at the end of the tunnel. Boy was I glad to get out . Still, this crawly war museum experience was fun if not more 'hands on' than other museum experiences. Though this tunnel crawl is very do-able and easy compared to the nasty, dank, centipede-esque experience in CuChi(HoChiMinh City), avoid it at all costs if you're:

1)Fat Bastard - You risk cutting all forms of ventilation, killing your mates and getting stuck there forever in your kilts.
2)Claustrophobic - Believe me, it gets to you after a while as some of the tunnels are not lit at all!!

Of course, take my advice with a pinch of salt. If you think about it, the tunnels were built for angmoh, oops, British soldiers, so they are big and wide. The ones in CuChi on the other hand, were built for Viet Congs, the size of Mini-me.So everybody will feel like FAT Bastard in those tunnels:)

Address: Lot 1350 Mukim 12, Merah Barat Daya, Batu Maung

• Updated Nov 28, 2005

Comments

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Have you been to Batu Maung?