Walnut Room: "Loop-A Chicago Holiday tradition" Top 5 Page for this destination Walnut Room Tip by Dabs

Walnut Room, Chicago: 4 reviews and 9 photos

Eating under the holiday tree at the Walnut Room on the 7th floor of Marshall Field's on State Street WAS a Christmas holiday tradition for many native Chicagoans but I somehow managed to avoid doing it until November 2005, the final year the store would be known as Marshall Field's. Lines for the Walnut Room in the busy shopping weeks before Christmas would sometimes be 2-3 hours long and no reservations and I just couldn't fathom waiting that long for any meal.

In 2006 when I was showing a few VTers around in early December, I brought them up to the 7th floor to see the tree and there was no line at all to eat at the Walnut Room, it seems Macy's underestimated the strong connection Chicago had with their hometown department store and the threatened boycott of Macy's after they changed the name in September 2006 turned out to be more than idle threats.

Favorite Dish: On my 2005 visit I tried a spicy bbq chicken sandwich, it was fine but certainly not worth standing in line for 3 hours.

Mom in law had her usual pick of chicken pot pie which is one of their specialty items and while the delicate puff pastry crust looked very good, once the peas started popping out I was no longer coveting her lunch. She tells me that it's excellent though and I will just have to believe her.

I imagine Macy's kept the menu fairly similar to the one Marshall Field's had but I suspect that I will never know for sure...

Address: 111 North State Street
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: 7th Floor of Marshall Fields (Macy's) on North State Street.
Phone: 312-781-3125
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: American

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Jan 12, 2007

Dabs Lives Here!

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?