"Over 100 highlights?" Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1
Gdansk Things to Do: 537 reviews and 1,498 photos
Unfortunatelly there was a holy mass on when I entered the St. Mary's basilica. First of all I noticed bright white colour of the walls and huge size of the interior. The impressive space: both height and width make the interior looks empty. It's wrong observation.
There are over 150 various masterpieces of Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque art, many of great historical and artistic value. There are a lot of stain glasses, paintings, sculptures, chapels, altars, epitaphs, and graves. No wonder, the basilica is called the crown of the city of Gdansk. Let me say only about a few highlights (number 15, 1, 41, 12, 16 on the map here):
1. "The Last Judgement" - the most famous painting of the Flemish painter Hans Memling. Well, it's a copy, the original painting is currently preserved in the National Museum of Gdañsk.
2. Main Altar, 1511-1517, Michael of Augsburg
3. the astronomical clock, 1464-1470, Hans Düringer of Toruñ, reconstructed after 1945.
4. the organ set, partially transferred from the St. Johns church in 1985
5. the Pietà (an artwork depicting the Virgin Mary cradling the dead body of Christ), approx. 1420, author unknown.
The basilica is a triple-aisled basilica with a triple-aisled transept. The width and the height of the transept and the main nave are similar as usual in late gothic churches. The gothic vaulting supported by 27 columns is a true piece of art.
Address: Ul. Podkramarska 5, 80-834 Gdansk
Directions: In the old town. Walk eastwards Dluga street, turn left to either Tkacka or Lektykarska st. and turn first right to Piwna, the church on the left. About 25 min. on foot from the Main Railway Station (Gdansk Glowny).
Phone: +48 (58) 301 39 82
More Reviews (196)
- See All For rich and famous or unfamous
- See All To Westerplatte by car
- See All Where do they live?
- See All Private house of Walesa
- See All Few and little shells
- See All Bathing in the Baltic Sea
- See All Fresh, fried fish :-)
- See All Tourist info, amber, silver, gifts
- See All Not prepared for foreign visitors
- See All The best concert hall in Europe!
- See All The Motlawa river at sunset
- See All Travel books
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Gdansk?Share Your Travels