Ciao East: "Quaint Italian in the East Village" Ciao East Tip by Minstrelette

Ciao East, New York City: 1 reviews and 0 photos

I love stumbling upon a local restaurant I've never heard of. I took some out of town friends down to the East Village for some Peruvian food, only to find that the restaurant moved locations. So rather than go to their new location in the West Village (we were tired and hungry), we walked around the East Village to find a different place. Most places had a long wait, but then we found Ciao East. Nervous that it was the only restaurant without a wait, we decided we were too hungry to care and gave it a try. It was well worth it! I'd describe this place as cozy/rustic, with a wood ceiling and floor and various cute sconces and chandeliers. The service was friendly and the food was delicious and amanzingly inexpensive. They serve wine by the bottle and glass, but they also serve a bottle and you only pay for the portion you drink- never seen that before and thought it was clever- of course they try to keep pouring but you can always stop them if you don't want to finish the bottle. I think I'd have to say this is my new favourite Italian restaurant in the city. They also have locations in Soho and the West Village; I guess I should try those one day to see if they're just as good.

Favorite Dish: gnocchi with a mint, pesto sauce- tender gnocchi and a light, flavourful sauce

Address: E. 7th St
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: just west of Avenue A on the south side of the street
Phone: (212) 979-0319
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Italian

• Updated Nov 5, 2005

Minstrelette Used To Live Here!

“I could use a good motto.”

Have you been to New York City?